Site icon Blog about pets. Everything you need to know to take care of your pets

How much dark chocolate can kill a dog.

dog looks guilty because he ate chocolate

Every expert will tell you that chocolate isn’t the proper food for any dog. This is not a recommendation to avoid it or reduce the amount, this is a definite taboo because it can lead to a fatal outcome. Of course, it is a matter of common sense. Your pet being a good doer will hardly die swallowing a tiny piece of chocolate but if an acceptable level is exceeded, it may suffer from serious problems.

In the article we’ll try to find answers to the following question: Can dogs eat white chocolate? Will chocolate kill a dog being eaten in any amount? How much chocolate can hurt a dog?

When is poisoning possible?

Almost always there is chocolate in our house. The adults and kids love sweets and dogs also like those tasty things eaten by their masters. Cacao and cacao preparations are full of benefits for human health including such a component as methylxanthine which is unfortunately deadly to dogs. The higher quality cacao is used to make chocolate, the higher percentage of this component it has. That means that if the dark chocolate is better for a human, it is much more harmful for a dog compared with milk analogue because of a large proportion of this ingredient in the recipe.

When we take chocolate, we get caffeine created by our organism and feel good. It is absorbed for almost 10 hours. But when a dog takes chocolate, it gets a great load on its kidneys and nervous system causing vomiting, muscle tremors, and other side effects. 

 The more it eats, the worse it feels. There are cases when people say: my dog ate chocolate but is acting fine. This means that it ate a little amount but it does not mean that it will not be poisoned next time when this dose will be excessed.

The relatively harmless quantity still depends on the type of chocolate. You may ask: is white chocolate bad for dogs? Regardless of a low level of cocoa powder in this product, the answer is yes. As to milk chocolate the things turn even worse. There is another question: how much chocolate can kill a dog? A couple of candy bars of milk chocolate is enough to poison a dog weighing 10 pounds. We’ll not even speak about sweet cacao powder. This is the most dangerous variant. 0.3 ounces per of pound body weight will cause the death of a dog. Do not forget about baking made with the addition of cacao. Probably, if your dog ate a brownie, there was no immediate collapse, but the risk is very high and a pet trying a tasty thing will ask for it again and again.

 The more it eats, the worse it feels. There are cases when people say: my dog ate chocolate but is acting fine. This means that it ate a little amount but it does not mean that it will not be poisoned next time when this dose will be excessed.

The relatively harmless quantity still depends on the type of chocolate. You may ask: is white chocolate bad for dogs? Regardless of a low level of cocoa powder in this product, the answer is yes. As to milk chocolate the things turn even worse. There is another question: how much chocolate can kill a dog? A couple of candy bars of milk chocolate is enough to poison a dog weighing 10 pounds. We’ll not even speak about sweet cacao powder. This is the most dangerous variant. 0.3 ounces per of pound body weight will cause the death of a dog. Do not forget about baking made with the addition of cacao. Probably, if your dog ate a brownie, there was no immediate collapse, but the risk is very high and a pet trying a tasty thing will ask for it again and again.

Poisoning symptoms

How can you understand that your dog has eaten a dangerous amount of chocolate? There are certain symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs. The pet will show it clearly with vomiting, increased urination, and diarrhea. He can behave in a strange way being restless. You can view tremors or seizures and as a result there is collapse. There is no antidote for chocolate poisoning and only gastric suction may help. Remember there is no dog safe chocolate!

The only thing to do in such a situation is to go to a veterinarian. But immediately, within 4-6 hours from the moment a dog eats chocolates, at home you can apply home treatment removing the toxic agent by inducing vomiting. To do that the hydrogen peroxide (3%) is used. You should give a couple of teaspoons to the dog’s mouth. If there is no vomiting, repeat the intake every 15 minutes till it happens. It is possible to replace hydrogen peroxide with Ipecac syrup. The latter remedy should be given only once.

In the case of success, after vomiting, you are recommended to give your dog activated charcoal prehydrating it beforehand to prevent mixing of the toxic agent in the bloodstream. There are various producers of activated charcoal. Choose the most reputed ones. Symptoms may continue. Anyway you’d better visit a vet.

How to keep your dog safe from eating chocolate?

It is not difficult to prevent a dog from eating chocolates. You should not habituate a dog to eat chocolates using its smallest part (which is not as harmful indeed) as a reward, for instance. Then, your dog will not be looking for it in the house. Ensure that all your stocks of chocolate bars and sweets are kept in the places which a pet is not able to reach. Do not forget to give a talk on this subject with all your family members and frequent guests – explaining that they should not entertain a dog with all kinds of chocolate delicacies. Also, your dog should follow the key orders including the “Leave it” command. Thus, when you get sight of your dog eating the chocolate, you should apply that command and be sure the dog obeys. There is another way out – building a suitable cage for a pet to restrict the area it can move around and ensure that it has no approach to places where chocolate is kept.

But unfortunately to foresee how things turn out is not possible. The dog can find a piece of chocolate outdoors and so on. That is why you should be very attentive in this respect.

And first of all, you should remember that no amount of chocolate is allowed even if the smallest portion will not kill a dog. When you eat chocolate, do refuse to share it with your dog. The tasty flavor can make a pet curious and it will look for it to taste more.

If it happens that a pup finds some chocolate, don’t make any delay. Try the first aid treatments we’ve described above in this article and do your best to understand how much chocolate the dog has managed to eat to decide on the level of danger.

Thus, you should know that even white chocolate and dogs are not compatible. Every expert will answer your question: Does chocolate really kill dogs? in the affirmative.

Click to rate this post!
Exit mobile version